A holiday can be just what you need to get away and enjoy a bit of sunshine, but don’t let your holiday be spoiled by being careless with your security.
1. Make your home look lived in, even if you are only going away for the weekend.
2. Don't openly talk about your holiday or update social media sites such as facebook about the fact that you are going away.
3. Notify your credit card companies about your holiday plans so they don’t deny usage of your credit card due to it being used in a different location.
4. Remember to cancel your milk, newspaper and any other regular deliveries.
5. Mow the lawns before your trip away and trim any plants that burglars could hide behind.
6. Use a reputable taxi firm to take you to the airport.
7. Ask a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your property while you are away. This could include mowing the lawn, picking up post and putting out the rubbish.
8. To prevent post piling up on your doorstep, register with Royal Mail Keepsafe who will hold your letters and parcels while you enjoy your holiday.
9. Keep windows closed as well as securely locked, even the smallest hard to reach ones. An open window is an open invitation.
10. Make sure garden tools and ladders are securely stored away in your shed or garage as thieves could use these items to break into your home.
11. Leave a car on the driveway or ask a neighbour to park there if you are going to be taking the car.
12. Set your home phone to a short ring as a constantly ringing phone says “No one is home”
13. Don’t clearly display your home address on your luggage. Instead use a work address or mobile phone number.
14. Timer switches on lights and electrical equipment can help deter thieves whilst you are away.
15. Remember, a visible burglar alarm will make burglars think twice about targeting your home.