While Christmas is a time for giving, it can also be a time for taking. Insurance claims for theft over the Christmas period rocket by more than 20 per cent.
1, Below you can find our top security tips for enjoying a safe Christmas.
2. Be vigilant when withdrawing money from an ATM. Simply move on if there are any suspicious-looking individuals hanging around.
3. Protect your PIN number; always shield the keypad with your hand.
4. If you feel the ATM isn’t working normally, press Cancel, withdraw your card and try another machine.
5. Keep chequebook and cheque card separate.
6. Keep your purse or wallet close to your body and carry as little cash as possible.
7. Shopping early means less crowds and less opportunity for pickpockets.
8. Keep aware of who is around when using your mobile phone in public places.
9. Do not leave presents and bags on show in vehicles as easy pickings.
10. Always park in well-lit public places.
11. Don’t leave your presents and gifts under your Christmas tree or on view.
12. Beware of bogus callers; fit a 'spy hole' and chain to your door so you can safely see and hear who is there.
13. If you are away for Christmas, don't forget to cancel the milk and paper before you go. And make the house look occupied with time-operated lights and radio.
14. Make sure your home phone doesn't announce you’re away. Avoid setting messages like ‘Sorry we are not at home’.
15. Most importantly don't forget to set your intruder alarm system.
16. REMEMBER...make sure your children are always aware don't talk to strangers.
Have a safe and merry Christmas!